The number one hotel in the world is in Cambodia and costs just £78 a night, according to TripAdivsor’s annual Travellers’ Choice Awards.
Viroth’s Hotel, in the centre of Siem Reap, in the vibrant Wat Bo area, boasts 50’s-inspired contemporary design, complemented by unusual vertical gardens full of lush green plants, 35 super stylish guestrooms, a 20-metre pool, spa, gym and open air poolside restaurant.
The awards are decided by an algorithm that analyses the millions of reviews and opinions collected in a single year from TripAdvisor travellers worldwide.
The £78-a-night Viroth’s Hotel in Siem Reap, Cambodia, pictured, which has been named the best hotel globally in the TripAdvisor 2018 Travellers’ Choice awards
The hotel in the north west of Cambodia, pictured, boasts 50’s-inspired contemporary design, complemented by large green areas and vertical gardens, 35 super stylish guestrooms, a 20-metre pool, spa, gym and open air poolside restaurant
And the hotel in the north west of Cambodia has had 910 reviews, with 95 per cent of them ‘excellent’ and none ranking it below average.
TripAdvisor user Ruhong from Singapore said: ‘Chic interior design and well maintained, including the black vintage Mercedes limousine that ferried us for the airport transfer. Courteous and friendly staff conversant in English. WiFi faster than expected. Centrally located in the heart of town, 25 minutes from the airport. Highly recommended.’
Another guest said: ‘Viroths hotel is an oasis of peace and quiet in the hustle and bustle of Siem Reap.
‘The staff are amazing, nothing is too much trouble. This boutique hotel is beautiful and immaculate throughout, I’ve never stayed in such a clean hotel.’
While another customer wrote: ‘Beautiful boutique hotel, lovely spacious rooms, attentive staff, great food, spa was excellent and perfect location, what more could you ask for?’
Meanwhile, the Old School Bed & Breakfast in the Cotswolds has been named the best in Europe while the Tavistock House Hotel in Devon takes the title of Europe’s best small hotel.
The Old School Bed & Breakfast in the Cotswolds has been named the best in Europe in the latest TripAdvisor awards 2018
The outside of the Old School Bed & Breakfast in Gloucestershire, which has a raft of positive reviews on TripAdvisor
One of the bedrooms at the Tavistock House Hotel in Devon, which takes the title of Europe’s best small hotel in the TripAdvisor awards
Tavistock House, in Devon was built by the Duke of Bedford around 1820. It was recently restored into a small boutique hotel
The B&B in Little Compton has a 97 per cent excellent rating with guests on TripAdvisor raving about their stay.
Helene wrote: ‘Everything was perfect and more. Wendy and John were so attentive and such gracious hosts, helping us find gorgeous walks in the area and recommending the best tables. It was my boyfriend’s bday weekend and he was happy beyond what I was hoping for!’
And Ann added: ‘It was our first visit to The Old School. What a fabulous bed and breakfast. Nothing is too much trouble for Wendy and her colleagues. The accommodation is second to none. So many comfortable and cosy areas in the house to relax and enjoy that cup of tea!’
For best value, Lawton Court Hotel in Llandudno was named number one in Europe while the UK’s best overall hotel is Hotel 41, located opposite Buckingham Palace.
The top-ranking U.S hotel is The Nantucket Hotel & Resort, which came 7th globally in the top hotel category.
The Lawton Court Hotel in Llandudno, which has been named third in the world for best value and also praised for its service
Lauriston Court Hotel, which is also run by the same family who own Lawton Court, also won an award for service and value for money
GLOBAL WINNERS IN THE 2018 TRIPADVISOR TRAVELLERS’ CHOICE AWARDS FOR HOTELS
1. Viroth’s Hotel, Cambodia
2. Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, Costa Rica
3. Umaid Bhawan Palace Jodphur, India
4. Hanoi La Siesta Hotel & Spa, Vietnam
5. Gili Lankanfushi, Maldives
6. Hotel Belvedere, Italy
7. The Nantucket Hotel & Resort, USA
8. La Reserve Paris, France
9. Nayara Springs, Costa Rica
10. Hanoi La Siesta Hotel Trendy, Vietnam
11. Shinta Mani Shack, Camobodia
12. Kayakapi Premium Caves , Turkey
13. The Leela Palace Udaipur, India
14. Hotel 41, London
15. Baros Maldives, Maldives
16. Belmond Palacio Nazarenas, Peru
17. The Kilarney Park Hotel, Ireland
18. The Milestone Hotel and Residences, London
19. Hotel Estalagem St Hubertus, Brazil
20. The Oberoi, Mauritius
21. Aria Hotel Budapest, Hungary
22. Quinta Jardins do Lago, Portugal
23. The Tuscany, Turks and Caicos
24. Eden Rock, St Barths
25. Bazara Resort & Spa, Tanzania
Best for luxury
1. Baros Maldives, Maldives
2. Riad Kheirredine, Marrakech
3. The Upper House, Hong Kong
4. The Oberoi Vanyavilas, India
5. Belmond Palacio Nazarenas, Peru
6. The Oberoi, Mauritius
7. Rixos Seagate Sharm, Egypt
8. Nayara Springs, Costa Rica
9. Umaid Bhawan Palace Jodhpur, India
10. Rosewood Mayakoba, Mexico
11. Egerton House Hotel, London
12. The Phoenix Resort, Belize
13. Gili Lankanfushi, Maldives
14. La Maison Arabe, Marrakech
15. Mandapa, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve, Indonesia
16. Komaneka at Tanggayuda, Indonesia
17. Layana Resort and Spa, Thailand
18. La Reserve Paris – Hotel and Spa
19. The Ritz-Carlton, Montreal, Canada
20. Andronis Luxury Suites, Greece
21. The Beaumont, London
22. Aria Hotel Budapest by Library Hotel Collection, Hungary
23. J.K. Place Roma, Rome
24. Hotel The Serras, Barcelona
25. Grand Residences Riviera, Cancun
1. Pousada Casa Campestre, Brazil
2. Casa Da Praia, Candolim, India
3. Maris Paraty, Paraty, Brazil
4. The Old School Bed and Breakfast, Little Compton
5. Bindon Bottom B&B, West Lulworth
6. 34 Argyle Street Guesthouse, St Andrews
7. Baudins of Busselton, Australia
8. Locanda dell’Artista, Italy
9. The 25 Boutique B&B, Torquay
10. Creston Villa Guest House, Lincoln
11. Huis Konig, Bruges
12. The Cedar House Inn, St Augustine
13. Creevagh Heights, Ireland
14. Chateau de Balazuc, France
15. Hodyal Dr Amara y Dra Yamira, Trinidad
16. 1862 Seasons On Main B&B, USA
17. La Belle Esplanade, New Orleans
18. Guesthouse 1×16, Keflavik, Iceland
19. Casa del Maya, Merida, Mexico
20. Riad Alnadine, Marrakech, Morroco
21. La Meme Histoire, Taiwan
22. Antlers on the Creek, USA
23. Captain David Kelley House, USA
24. Riad Abaca Badra, Marrakech
25. Shulamit Yard, Israel
Awards were handed out in several categories – top hotels, bargain, B&Bs and inns, best service, luxury, small hotels and value for money.
And the results of this year’s awards prove that it’s the UK that’s the best at running B&Bs, claiming not just the number one in Europe but second and third place as well – and five of the top 10 B&Bs in the world are located in the UK.
Bindon Bottom B&B in West Lulworth, Dorset – the recipient of world number one last year – is named second best in Europe and the UK and fifth in the world and 34 Argyle Street Guesthouse in St Andrews, Scotland, comes in third place in Europe and the UK and sixth in the world.
The 25 Boutique B&B in Torquay comes in fifth in Europe, fourth in the UK and ninth in the world, followed by Lincoln’s Creston Villa Guest House, which takes sixth in Europe, fifth in the UK and tenth in the world.
Meanwhile Llandudno this year firmly cements itself as a great location for the budget conscious traveller, as Lawton Court Hotel run by Carol-Lynn and Ian Robbins along with son Scott and daughter-in-law Hannah, is revealed as the number one hotel in Europe and the UK and third in the world for value for money.
The top-rated hotel in the UK was the Hotel 41, pictured, located opposite Buckingham Palace in the heart of central London
The top-ranking U.S hotel is The Nantucket Hotel & Resort, pictured, which came 7th globally in the top hotel category
The Nantucket Hotel & Resort in Massachusetts offers bedroom suites and cottages, many with kitchenettes as well as ocean and harbour views
Just next door, Lauriston Court Hotel, Lawton Court’s older sister hotel, which is run by the same family, scooped the prize for best bargain hotel in the UK and second in the world.
It is not the first time the two hotels have been recognised by TripAdvisor. In 2013, Lauriston Court was named best in the world for service and number one in the UK for being a bargain.
Meanwhile in 2015, Lawton Court was named the best bargain hotel in the world and in 2017 was number one in Europe for customer service.
Mrs Robbins told MailOnline Travel that their secret to success is personally greeting every single guest that comes through their doors.
The Baros Maldives resort, which is perched on an island in the middle of the ocean, was named the best hotel for luxury
The Eden Rock resort in St Barts, pictured, was one of the highly rated top hotels thanks to its stunning views of the Caribbean Sea
The brightly coloured La Belle Esplanade in the US city of New Orleans was highly rated globally in the B&B category
The Umaid Bhawan Palace Jodhpur in India, with its sprawling grounds, was named one of the best luxury hotels in the world
The entrance to the Hodyal Dr Amara y Dra Yamira, Trinidad, which was highly rated in the best B&Bs category globally
GREETING EVERY GUEST IS THE KEY TO SUCCESS, SAY LLANDUDNO’S HOTSHOT HOTELIERS
Carol-Lynn and Ian Robbins with their son Scott and daughter-in-law Hannah. The family all run the Lauriston Court and Lawton Court hotels in Llandudno
Adding more TripAdvisor awards to their collection is the Robbins family, who own two hotels in the Welsh town of Llandudno.
Both Lauriston Court and Lawton Court on the north Wales coast have been singled out by the awards for their service and value for money.
The hotels, which are virtually next door to each other, are run by Carol-Lynn and Ian Robbins alongside their son Scott Lawton-Jones and his wife, Hannah.
It’s not the first time they have scooped TripAdvisor awards, having won one every year since 2013.
And Mrs Robbins, 62, told MailOnline Travel the secret to the hotel’s success, revealing that it’s the personal touches that keep their customers happy.
She said: ‘For us, the guests always come first. Nothing is ever too much and we want to look after them really well.
‘We all live on site at the hotel so we are able to greet every guest as they come and go so we give the personal touch.’
The family have taken on over 30 staff in their hotels and restaurants since they moved to Llandudno from their native Wrexham.
But even though most people can’t imagine working so closely with their family, Mrs Robbins says it is a privilege.
She added: ‘I would say I’m actually extremely lucky to be able to work with my family.
‘We are all able to work together well and we’ve been doing it a long time now. I would acutally say it is a privilege.’
She said: ‘For us, the guests always come first. Nothing is ever too much and we want to look after them really well.
‘We all live on-site at the hotel so we are able to greet every guest as they come and go so we give the personal touch.’
For those looking for something extravagant, for the second year in a row, the title of UK’s Top Hotel goes to Hotel 41.
Located opposite Buckingham Palace and boasting Savoir beds, a personal butler service and staff who outnumber guests two to one, the hotel also celebrates placing sixth in Europe and 14th in the world.
Bookable on TripAdvisor for an average of £502 per night, travellers planning a visit will get the best deal in February, where the average rate on TripAdvisor is £390.
One of the striking bedrooms in the Egerton House Hotel in London, which was named one of the best in the UK for service
The luxury Rosewood Mayakoba in Mexico, which was praised for its service and luxurious surroundings in the awards
The stunning swimming pool at the Oberoi Mauritius, which was one of the top 25 hotels in the world in the TripAdvisor 2018 Awards
One of the premium pool villas at the Baros resort in the Maldives, which has featured in the top 25 of several of the categories
MORE GLOBAL WINNERS IN THE 2018 TRIPADVISOR TRAVELLERS’ CHOICE AWARDS FOR HOTELS
Best for service
1. Riad Kheirredine, Marrakech
2. Deefield Lodge at Heavenly, Lake Tahoe
3. Achtis Hotel, Greece
4. The Elm Tree Hotel, Llandudno
5. Sokkhsk Boutique Resort, Cambodia
6. Desert Riviera Hotel, Palm Springs
7. Riad Dar Anika, Marrakech
8. Hanoi Marvellous Hotel, Vietnam
9. Coco Plum Island Resort, Belize
10. Albergaria do Calvario, Portugal
11. Hotel Belvedere, Italy
12. Capri Wine Hotel, Capri
13. Golden Temple Residence, Camobodia
14. Rocabella Mykonos Art Hotel, Greece
15. Oriental Central Hotel, Vietnam
16. Hotel Pod Vezi, Prague
17. Umaid Bhawan Palace Jodphur, Inida
18. Rixos Seagate Sharm, Egypt
19. Hotel Residence Agnes, Prague
20. Tulemar Bungalows and Villas, Costa Rica
21. Ceylon Tea Trails, Sri Lanka
22. Rosewood Mayakoba, Mexico
23. Hotel Estalagem St Hubertus, Brazil
24. Baros Maldives, Maldives
25. Derwent House Boutique Hotel, Cape Town
Best for value
1. Hanoi Emerald Waters Hotel, Vietnam
2. Central Suite Residence, Cambodia
3. Lawton Court Hotel, Llandudno
4. Riad Kheirredine, Marrakech
5. Hanoi Marvellous Hotel, Vietnam
6. Viroth’s Hotel, Cambodia
7. Stradonia Serviced Apartments, Krakow
8. Lithos by Spyros & Flora, Greece
9. La Minerva, Capri
10. Ayasoluk Boutique Hotel, Turkey
11. Tulemar Bungalows and Villas, Costa Rica
12. Boutique Hotel Diana, Italy
13. Valle D’incanto Midscale Hotel, Brazil
14. Albergaria do Calvario, Portugal
15. Reverie Siam Resort, Thailand
16. Barrier Beach Resort Vanuatu
17. Riad Les Trois Palmiers El Bacha, Marrakech
18. Derwent House Boutique Hotel, Cape Town
19. Coeur des Alpes, Zermatt, Switzerland
20. Blackheath Lodge, Cape Town
21. La Maison Hotel, Palm Springs
22. Padma Resort Ubud, Indonesia
23. Puri Mangga Sea View Resort & Spa, Indonesia
24. L’Hermitage Hotel, Vancouver
25. Tambo del Inka Resort & Spa, Valle Sagrado, Peru